Windows update error?!?
Uptill reacently we start getting messages in our client system logs stating something like;
The Automatic Updates service terminated with the following error: The class is configured to run as a security id different from the caller.
To be honost, we tried different aproaches and researched different angles on this issue. Found articles about BITS and other security stuff, but none realy helped. The following is true in our envirnoment.
1. We dont use WSUS.
2. We have a Native 2003 Domain
3. We use Windows XP servicepack 2
4. We do use network policies but for some illusive buisness requirements we dont enforce updates (developers…. )
Here are some things that where true on the issue.
1. We couldnt start or stop the windows update service (wuauserv.dll / wuaueng.dll) and got an access denied message.
2. We couldnt register the various dlls into windows.
3. We couldnt rewrite the BITS entries also getting an access denied message.
4. We couldnt enable “interactive” mode in the security>logon tab of the service getting… Yea an access denied message.
“Update on this Issue”
The problem was somewhat illusive to us, but we found the problem!🙂
The behaviour as described above is caused when a network policy is used to enforce the service configuration (Windows Update Service) itself.
In the Machine portion of a GPO you can browse down to : Computer Configuration >Windows Settings > Security > System Services. Here you can configure various aspects of the winows services, like force the messanger service to be disabled. In our case the Windows Update Service was forced to be Automatic and with thus (check the permisssions button) the rights on that service…
Just remove the policy from the Windows Update service service and control the update service using the aprop. policies found under : Computer Configuration > Administrative templates > Windows Components > Windows Update instead.
This should fix the Id is other then caller issue ;-)
Just use the “gpupdate /force” command on the clients that realy need some updates, and or wait till the next logon, or 90 Minutes (default gpo refresh time)…
Gl & Rgrds, Chris
Posted on March 19, 2009, in Windows Command Line, Windows Compontents, Windows XP SP2 and tagged Automatic, caller, class, configured, different, Error, following, id, run, security, service, terminated, The, Updates, With, wuauserv.dll. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.